Renee Tenison (born December 2, 1968 in Caldwell, Idaho) is an African-American Model and Actress. She's best known for becoming the first African-American to be named Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Year for 1990. Also in 1990, she auditioned to become the very first permanent African-American model on The Price is Right.
Early Life & Playboy CareerEdit
Renee was born and raised in Caldwell, Idaho. She has three older brothers and an identical twin sister, Rosie, who also works as a model. Renee was one of very few African-American women to posed nude in Playboy magazine as she appeared in the November 1989 issue of the popular men's magazine and the following year, she made history as she became the first African-American to be named Playmate of the Year. Renee's twin sister, Rosie, was never a playmate but they did pose together in the August 2002 issue of the magazine.
Price is Right AuditionEdit
- In 1990, Renee learned that The Price is Right was holding auditions to feature their very first permanent African-American model to appear on the series. Although a woman named Harriet, actually holds the distinction of being the show's very first African-American model to appear as she appeared occasionally on the some of the first episodes of the syndicated nighttime version of Price with host Dennis James and a woman named Pat was the first African-American to appear as a guest model on the daytime version during Holly Hallstrom's absence in the mid-1980s.
- Renee made the audition as she made her on-camera debut sometime during the show's 18th season and appeared more frequently the following season. The show's producers rotated back and forth between Renee and Kathleen Bradley, who made her on-camera debut at the very end of season 18 and was selected as the show's first PERMANENT African-American model that December (airdate: December 24, 1990).
- Years later, Renee's twin sister, Rosie would audition to become one of two newest Barker's Beauties (permanently replacing Kathleen and Janice Pennington) in 2001.
Later Career & Other TV AppearancesEdit
- A year later after appearing as one of Barker's Beauties on The Price is Right, Renee appeared alongside some of her fellow Playboy playmates as they all appeared on Family Feud with host Ray Combs, in a special week of shows titled "Centerfolds of the 1980s vs Centerfolds of the 70s & 90s". Renee appeared on the 70s & 90s team with Lisa Matthews, Daina House, Peggy McIntaggart and Debra Jo Fondren as they faced off against the team of 80s centerfolds Dona Spier, Luann Lee, Pia Reyes, Kimberly MacArthur and Rebecca Ferratti.
- Renee has also modeled lingerie for Fredrick's of Hollywood and so has her twin sister, Rosie and they are two of several former or future Barker's Beauties to have modeled for the popular retailer. Others Barker's Beauties that have modeled were Cynthia Brimhall, Nikki Ziering, Alicia Rickter, Jennifer Wood, Cindy Margolis, and TNPIR model Lisa Stahl Sullivan.
- In 2001, Renee was selected as one of the ten sexiest women of the year by the readers of Black Men magazine. The following year, she appeared alongside some of her other fellow Playboy centerfolds as they appeared on a special Playboy Playmates episode of the NBC Primetime quiz show The Weakest Link, she was the fifth contestant eliminated from the game.
- Aside from all her modeling credentials, Renee has also landed various guest starring roles on various TV shows have included Married With Children, Malcolm & Eddie, Family Matters, Living Single, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Steve Harvey Show, and The Parkers.
- Today, Renee and Rosie both continue modeling as well as occasionally appearing in TV and movies.
(Renee as a tryout model on The Price is Right in 1990)
(Renee's twin sister Rosie as a tryout model in 2001)